House Rosa/ Pretoria
The client required a new entertainment area, enlarged kitchen, a painter’s studio, a 4th bedroom, garages and a swimming pool, to be added to the existing house designed by Gordon McIntosh in 1941.
Due to the historical significance of the house, the architects chose to approach the additions in a manner that would respect and preserve the integrity of the original building. The additions adapt subtly to the predominant horizontal lines of the house in the form of flat concrete roofs and thin, lightweight floating roofs. The new buildings are detached from the existing house and are only connected to it by flat roofed links or passages, thus preserving the integrity of the existing house.
A new north-facing courtyard has been created by the positioning of the new buildings, which contains the swimming pool and provides a shared outdoor space for the living areas to flow out onto.
Date of completion: 2006
Pretoria Institute for Architecture Award of Merit 2008 South African Institute of Architects Award of Merit
Mail & Guardian, 23 dec, House Rosa in an article by Hugh Fraser on South African architectural expression